How about those fatherhood television commercials? Fatherhood.com is an official U.S. Government web site managed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Just another effort for liberals to spend taxpayer money to make themselves feel better. Truth is that if not for liberals, Black History would probably not be limited to just one month out of twelve.
In February of 1870 the 15th amendment to the Constitution assured blacks and all other citizens the right to vote. Is this why February is designated as Black History Month? According to Carter G. Woodson and the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, February was chosen because it happens to be the birth month of both Abraham Lincoln and Fredrick Douglas.
Morgan Freemen says the history of blacks should be part of American history not limited to just the one month. Thomas Sowell is quoted as saying, “Liberals seem to assume that, if you don’t believe in their particular political solutions, then you don’t care about the people they claim to want to help.”
To better understand that comment, consider that Thomas Sowell has very few comments supporting any race as a basis for much of anything. He makes a good point when he says that many Americans and certainly most of the white liberal American political establishment can identify all of the black racial leaders. But then he ask, who are the race-based leaders who are Asian or Jewish?
Thomas Sowell grew up in Harlem before the Civil Rights bill and the War on Poverty. He did not graduate from high school yet he became a Senior Fellow of the Hoover Institute at Stanford University. Along his way, he was a marine, he graduated magna cum laude from Harvard and earned his doctorate in economics in 1958. Isn’t it true that 1958 pre-dates the 50 years or so of democrat control of the federal government. If that is true – and it is of course – it is critical to note that this black child of poverty accomplished the feat of earning his doctoral before democrats, liberals and progressives began building of their government financed Great Society and their War on Poverty to ‘help’ blacks do exactly what free and ambitious men like Sowell had already proven could be done.
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Since that act no longer has any value in this age of non-citizen, illegal immigrant voters and the nonsence of motor voter, no ID, same day voting laws, et cetera, it is more intresting to note that we are now 1 year into the second half century of the Civil Rights Act. Arguably these were the first two battles in the War on Poverty. But the question is, why did congress pass the Voting Rights Act in 1965? The 15th Amendment to the Constitution clearly addressed the issue of voting ninety-five years earlier: “The right of the citizens to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the Unites States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.”
This amendment was ratified in February of 1870; ninety-five years before the democrats decided they wanted to take credit for helping blacks. Those claims were later shouted loudest by the great Ku Klux Klansman Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia and the father of government paid abortions, the architect of Medicare himself, Lyndon Johnson. So while the Viet Nam Conflict raged, the racists rantings of democrats in Washington sat the stage for big government to manage the lives and fortunes of black families in America.
Let’s take just a moment in this month of recogniti0n of black history in America and acknowledge some of the successes of the government’s race-based social welfare programs.
- As recently as the early 1960’s two thirds of black children were living in households with a mother and father. Today, thanks to special welfare incentives, that number is reversed to only 1 in 3 living in two parent households and as few as 1 in 10 in the inner cities. Thus the fatherhood TV campaign. Liberals again trying to double down on failed policies.
- In the past 10 years (6 of which are under a “black” president) the black to white poverty gap has increased – not decreased.
- The percentage of blacks to whites in prisons is higher today than it was in 1960.
- In spite of having one of the highest cost per student rates in the world, 80 percent of black students in New York City’s public schools perform below grade level and well below their counterparts in charter and private schools; schools now being forced to downgrade into federally mandated Common Core Curriculum.
- Black crime rates were lower in the 1940’s and 1950’s than it is after these past 50 years of government social engineering, even though in those decades black poverty rate was much higher and racial discrimination was legal.
The list of “accomplishments” of the Great Society’s social welfare programs could be extensive, but perhaps the grestest of all of the liberals’ victories against blacks in America is the hyphenation of their identity. They no longer consider themselves Americans. Today they are hyphenated Americans, even when their ancestors can be traced back well over 150 years. This self-imposed segregation has created what Wall Street Journal senior editorial page writer, Jason L. Riley, describes as, “a culture that produces little black girls and boys who are already worried about acting and sounding white by the time they are in second grade.”
Mayflower-American, Craig Masters